Monday, June 9, 2014

Hazelhurst, GA.


This past weekend Peyton and I rode with my parents to visit my great grandma which would be Peyton’s great grandma. She lives in Hazelhurst, GA.

 That is a 4 hour drive and over 200 miles one way. We left after I got off work on Friday afternoon and came back Sunday around 2:30. We don’t make the trip very often but when we do it is always worth it. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to see all of the family members that I would have liked to, but there is always another time for another trip.
My great grandma’s name is Vater Woodell. She is about 93 years old and still alive. Up until the last couple years she has done very well for her old age. She still plants her garden, still fishes, and still has stories to tell. Oh the stories she can tell. She doesn’t drive anymore and it is getting very hard for her to be able to move around. She has to hold onto something when walking through the house and actually going outside is a bit of a struggle. A nurse does have to come in throughout the week to help take care of her.  It's not the greatest but here is a picture of this sweet lady.

 
Hazelhurst is a very, very small town. There is not much to do or see there. The biggest thing they have their would be a super Wal-Mart. And even that is small. It’s a small town with a lot of history. I’m talking so small that they just upgraded their cell phone towers last year and I can now get signal when I am there. I know small town right? My internet still didn’t work so I couldn’t post anything but hey! They are improving.

But what I wanted to share with you is this thought:
My grandma is 93 years old, no internet, no cable, hardly any air condition, she doesn’t have a car, she doesn’t have the biggest house or even a lot of money.

You know what she does have though?
Contentment.


If we could all learn to live on a little less, give a little more, we could be content. Instead, we always want the next best thing. The newest iPhone, computer, car, house, clothes, you name it, we want it. But do we really need those things? Do we have to have the newest iPhone? Car? Clothes? Not hardly. Think back in the times when they didn’t have any air conditioning or even internet! They still worked to survive and they were still as happy as could be.
 What is it that you want so badly that keeps you from being content? And why do you want it so badly?
 

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Little granny would probably cry if she read this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the part about your grand mother. It is so sweet. I was just in Cumming Ga. this past Friday. I went there to put a flower on my husbands grave for his 80th Birthday.. I then visited his daughter who lives just a block from the cementery. It is a three hour drive one way. We ran into a terrible storm on 85 on our way back home.
      Keep up the good job on this site of yours

      Delete
    2. We ran into some storms on the way down there Friday but the way back was clear. That is so sweet that you still put flowers on his grave and really great that you still visit his daughter!

      Delete